On Friday, I finally watched Star Wars for the first time. I sat there and watched episodes IV, V, and VI just so that I could watch episode VII on Sunday. I never had the urge to watch Star Wars before, but with all of this hype over The Force Awakens, I just couldn’t miss out on this cultural phenomena.
To my surprise, I actually really enjoyed the movies. I never thought it would be something that I would like. I do have some qualms about it though being the natural critic that I am. Below is a list of issues that I have with the movies. Spoilers ahead.
- Why is Luke often told to trust his ‘feelings’? Couldn’t they have thought of another word like ‘intuition’ or ‘instinct’? I just rolled my eyes every time someone even brought it up.
- What exactly is the ‘force’? Do you get a bunch of random powers? I mean Luke was able to sense future events, have telekinetic powers, manipulate people to do his will, have incredible gymnastic abilities like Shawn Johnson, and so on. There has to be a limit. Right?
- I hated the Ewoks so much. They reminded me of huge Ferbies.
- Does anybody actually like Luke Skywalker. He is the main character and all, but he has to be the most annoying character in the movies (I haven’t seen episodes 1-3, so I have not endured Jaja Binks). Is it awful to say that I wanted Darth Vader to defeat him? I mean I am the same person who thinks that Harry Potter should have died, but that is a topic for another day.
- Why did the Emperor keep reminding Luke about his ‘dark side’? Luke would have given into his dark side if the Emperor would have stopped reminding him of it. I mean when you make someone self aware of what they are doing, especially when it is bad, they are going to stop doing it.
- Please don’t hate me for this, but Chewbacca’s growl, or whatever you want to call it, is so annoying.
- Did Princess Leia really have to wear that outfit when she was Jabba’s slave? She was such a strong female character and then the ‘powers that be’ had to go and do that.
- Why can’t the Stormtroopers shoot? Han Solo would be having a full conversation with someone while the Stormtroopers were shooting at them. I mean how ridiculous is that? Aren’t the Stormtroopers given proper training beforehand?
- Why did Lando keep saying Han’s name weird? You would think the director would be like “Hey Billy, you are doing it wrong.” But I guess a lot of people have that relative or co-worker that pronounces their name wrong and they don’t even bother correcting them.
After all of that complaining, I still really enjoyed the movies, and if you haven’t seen them, I strongly suggest that you do.
Lord of the Rings next?