What makes a great tv show?
- Consistency: You ever watch a great TV show and it only had one good season? (ex. Heroes). A good TV shows doesn’t necessarily have to be great from begin to end, but I shouldn’t have to feel like I am forcing myself to finish the series.
- Characters: Characters are everything. If you don’t like the characters then you aren’t going to like the show. One exception for me is Girls. I can’t stand any of the characters. They are the most selfish human beings ever behind Don Draper (Mad Men). Maybe I only watch the show for Ray. Ray is great.
- Pacing: You want a storyline that takes some time to get through because it wouldn’t be any fun of the twist was revealed in the first few episodes. You also don’t want to go through the entire series before the secret is revealed.
- If the writing isn’t good, the show isn’t good.
Finally here is the list
10. The Get Down
This is a new musical drama on Netflix about the growth of Hip Hop in the Bronx back in the 1970s. There is only one season so far, so it might be a little too early to say it is one of my favorite shows. Also, the music is great on the show, which one would expect when Nas is one of the producers.
9. Orange is the New Black
This is a Netflix series about a women’s prison. The show is good because even if you don’t like the main character, Piper, there are ton of other characters to enjoy. This show has been pretty solid so far.
8. The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
The theme song alone makes the show great. This another show that is on Netflix and it is about a woman named Kimmy who is trying to make it in NYC after being rescued from a cult that she was held in for 15 years. Also, this show was created by Tina Fey.
7. 30 Rock
Tiny Fey plays Liz Lemon in this NBC show about a sketch comedy show writer. The characters on this show are great.Not much to say about it. It is just a really funny show.
I unfortunately could not find a season 1 trailer of the show. So, here are a few of my favorite scenes. I do love the episode where she is stuck on a plane in season 5 episode 14, but I could not find any clips.
6.Jane the Virgin
This show is not as ridiculous as the name sounds. It is about a virgin who is accidentally artificially inseminated by her doctor. Stay with me guys. The show is good I promise. It parodies telenovelas and it does a very good job doing that.
5. The Office
This is a mockumentary about employees at a paper company in Scranton. Great characters and great writing. It kind of lost its spunk towards the end, but overall still a very good show. Jim and Dwight’s relationship makes the show and since I can’t find a season 1 trailer here are clips of Jim’s pranks on Dwight.
4. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
This show is a hidden gem. I don’t know a ton of people who actually watch this series, but it won a Golden Globe for whatever that is worth. The show is a comedy about a police precinct in NYC. Another show with great characters, especially Captain Holt.
3.Game of Thrones
I mean who doesn’t know about Game of Thrones. A great story about a bunch of people trying to claim the throne. There are characters you love, characters you hate, and characters you love to hate. What makes this show so great, especially in the first few seasons, is the shock value. If you read the book then you have a good idea of what is going to happen, but for those who have not this show is full of surprises.
Gilmore Girls is about a single mom and the close relationship she has with her daughter. What you need to know about the show is that the dialogue is really fast, Dean is the worst, Jess is awesome, and they are doing a brand new season coming out on Netflix in November.
Trailer for the new season
I have met a handful of people who have watched this show, but it is the only good thing about Showtime. Shameless is about a family in Chicago that goes through so many issues. You will see a character grow and develop and then they would just fall right back into old habits. It is so frustrating, but honest at the same time. How many times have we all just reverted back to the same bad habits?
Honorable Mention: Nashville, Modern Family, Trueblood, Mars (Taiwanese drama), Bob’s Burgers, Laguna Beach, Awkward, Total Divas, The Goldbergs
Shows I want to see
- Breaking Bad (finished season one)
- Sons of Anarchy
- Silicon Valley
- Stranger Things